Wednesday, December 8, 2010

chivalry & John Hughes

"Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life. " -Olive from Easy A

2 comments:

NikonSniper said...

wow, you're right to want that but i think you aren't raising the bar when you request it. as an official old fart now, i think chivalry was already gone by the 80s. maybe it was in some movies then but it really left in the 60s and 60s and 70s with much of the womens liberation movement. i am all for equality in pay scales. that movement wasn't all good for men or women. you wouldn't believe what people say when you tell them that you believe a guy should ask a girl's father for his blessing to marry their daughter. it isn't a request for permission ... but so many men don't man up to even do that anymore. failure of marriages and for proper home leadership have also contributed to this. there is still chivalry out there so don't lose hope. my sons ask for permission because they are raised that way. you gotta believe they are out there. my dad told me that i needed to look at a girl's mom when considering a future wife. i made a great pick. i guess the opposite is true. look for a home in which the dad leads by example and still demonstrates love for his wife and that will be a good place to sniff around for chivalry. that's my two cents. but what a great point you make and good for you to be looking for that in a man.
nikonsniper steve

ohhMandy said...

wow! I don't know what to say. I just posted this quote because i heard it in a movie & really liked it, but THANKS! I won't lose hope :]